Monday, April 21, 2008

How to Avoid Duplicate Content Penalties

We've all heard of duplicate content and most webmasters know that it"s a negative step to apply it on a web site. But what exactly is it and why is it bad? Duplicate content is exactly as its designation implies - it's content that's the same as content already on the net - an article or a passage of words that exactly matches an article or passage of contents on another web site. The same words, in the same order, with almost the same punctuation. Basically it's stolen, thieved material. Material written by another person and used on a thief's web site. Stolen by a web master who hasn't got the skill to inscribe a unique article, or more than likely, stolen by a lazy webmaster. Duplicate content is severely frowned upon by the search engines and punished accordingly. A web site with a stage deemed by the search engines to be comprised basically of pirated content will be accorded a lower SERPS positioning or worse still, will be banned a
ltogether, at the discretion of the search engine. Anyone using SEO to achieve a high SERPS position with stolen content is deceiving himself. A high SERPS position is impossible with duplicate content on the web site. It just won't happen. However there is a plan for an article originally shown on another web site to be legitimately displayed on another site without incurring search engine penalties. This is a method I manipulate to add a degree of professionalism to one of my own web sites. This site promotes an obesity-prevention product and includes pages devoted to obesity news from throughout the world. I keep the pages up to date with the latest news and usually embrace between 4 to 6 news items on each page. I regularly trawl the internet looking for the latest news on anything to do with obesity, whether it be administration initiatives, research from medical institutions, or personal stories. The content is copied as is - it's not doctored or changed
around. I try to cover the whole content where possible, on the contrary if the article is unduly long, I may copy only the first rare paragraphs on the other hand ensuring I retain the habitual theme of the item. So how do I get all over the search engines' duplicate content rules? I incorporate in the article the entire title, the location where I found the news item, and the date. So if I found an item about a speech made by the Canadian Health Minister on the subject of obesity and Canadian institute children, I would copy the article intact without a single amendment, with the original title, and date, and the label of the news source, such as the Toronto Send and Globe or Reuters. All this would appear on my web page. What I am in act doing is telling the search engines that in the public interest I'm informing them of the latest developments to combat obesity. The search engines must feel that this info reinforces my site as an authoritative source
of obesity news. And how do I know the search engines view my copied content kindly? Thanks to from lifetime to period my pages with this content get a acceptable position on the SERPS. Full text: http://computerandtechnologies.com/computers-and-technology/news_2008-04-21-18-00-05-167.html

No comments: